Thursday, February 11, 2010

2005 TSX iPod Integration How-To

If you own a 2004-2005 TSX, you are aware that the auxiliary input wasn't added until '06. That's fine, because there's a better solution to listening to your iPod/iPone than an AUX port that can't even charge it. After reading many reviews, I decided on the Dice Electronics i-Honda-R4. If you have an '04 model without Navi, you can save the $20 and get the R3. The only difference is that the R4 has the ability to retain XM/Navi, which is originally plugged into the device port on the stereo. The install is insanely simple and takes about 5 minutes. Of course, read the Dice manual and set up the device prior to installation time. This will help ensure a speedy install.

Tools Required: None

Difficulty: Easy

Installation How-to:
  1. Place both hands in the upper storage bin and press firmly on the inner-sidewalls pulling out and up. The bin should pop right out.

  2. Carefully put your hand inside the opening and feel the bottom of the stereo. There is only one plug and it is very accessible.

  3. There is a small locking lever facing towards you. Carefully unplug the connector.

  4. Plug the connector into the female end of the Dice harness and plug the male end of the Dice harness into the stereo.

  5. Connect everything to the Dice device and neatly tuck it away. Verify that everything is working the way it should.

  6. Determine where you want the iPod cable to run. I chose to run it through the passenger side of the center console. Of course, it can go pretty much anywhere considering the length of cable they give you.


  7. Put the storage bin back in, make sure it snaps securely in place. That's it!


    UPDATE: After using this for a few months, I decided I wanted a cleaner look to the install. That is, I wanted the iPod cable to be out of sight. So, I popped the center console out (see Mugen SS install instructions) and ran the iPod cable to the left of the shifter mechanism following the yellow wire (see Mugen SS photos) and securing it with wire ties. Inside the console cubby (armrest) there is a 12V DC socket. If you lift up the rubber pad on the bottom of the cubby, you expose a single philips screw. Remove the screw and unplug the 12V socket and remove the socket and plastic housing. Just below the socket on the left edge of the housing, I drilled a hole large enough to pass the iPod cable through. I then clipped the iPod cable into the hooks on the underside of the armrest and ran the cable up through the hole to the top shelf, where I like to set my iPod. Since the cubby is designed so well, you can close it while the cable is out, making changing songs by hand simple. When done changing songs, I place it back in the cubby. Super clean and out of sight!






9 comments:

  1. I plan on doing this at some point - does it only have an iPod integration port, or will it work with standard headphone jacks as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dice unit has both AUX out and iPod out. The AUX out is a 3.5mm stereo port. You can buy that cable pretty much everywhere (male/male, male/female) depending on how you want to set it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey awesome blog!

    Gives me a better idea of what I'm getting myself into with this kit. So you went with the R4? Now does this disable your CD Changer? I know why bother having the CD changer when you have an iPod but the car is shared amongst the family and some of them are old fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I went with the R4 to retain XM functionality. On the TSX, the input slot used is the same slot an external changer would plug in. On the '05-'08 TSX, this is where the XM plugs in. On the '04, the slot is just empty. If you have an external changer, I am not sure how the Dice kit will play. I do know that it has no affect on the in-dash 6CD changer. The stock unit has the following inputs: CD, CDC, XM, AUX. If you want to hear CDs from the in-dash changer, you select CD. If you want to hear your iPod, you select CDC. In this case, AUX is never used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally someone who puts up pictures and doesn't just fumble trying to describe!

    My question is rooted in the text display on the radio. According to DICE, if the XM radio is plugged in through the R4, the TEXT function is not available. Is this true, and if so, what shows on the radio when playing the iPod?

    Also, do you have any suggestions as to the control of the iPod? I can't decide if it would be better to control with the iPod directly or control with the radio buttons. If I control the songs directly on the iPod, do the buttons on the steering wheel and radio still work? And if the radio is used to control, how bad is the lag time?

    Thanks for any advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, as you are aware, there are two ways to set up the DICE unit. I chose to set it up for iPod control. This means that all you can do from the steering wheel is change to the previous or next song in the album/playlist and of course volume up/down. In this mode, what is displayed on the receiver is CDC: [track number]. There is virtually no lag time between changing tracks in this mode, although I heard there can be considerable lag in the other mode.

    Personally, the other mode is odd and confusing in that it allows you to navigate your iPod using random buttons on the receiver and it LOCKS the iPod controls. In my opinion, this is pretty dangerous because you have to remember which button does what (change artist, change album etc.). The benefit of course is that the track information is displayed.

    As for the R4, the only difference is that a special Y-adapter is included to retain XM. I have no idea why DICE says it kills text display. I would suspect having XM plugged in has no effect whatsoever considering it's plugged in after the DICE unit. I can't verify this for you though because I have it set up for iPod control, which I recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much for this great post. These instructions were very helpful when I installed LogJam Electronics CPHONAUX3.5 (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/ljhonaux35.html) in my 2005 TSX MT non-Nav yesterday and today. I have an Android phone, so I don't need the iPod connectivity.

    Though I hadn't originally intended to route the cable to the console cubby, that's what I wound up doing when I realized it was going to be awkward to feed it down towards the passenger side footwell.

    I also found these instructions very helpful:
    http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2005_TSX_IVES_BII28366.pdf

    And this YouTube video describes a cool "tool" for easily removing the upper storage bin:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZ2J6iI8NQ

    This post had some additional helpful hits for removing the center console cover, though what worked best for me was carefully prying it up from the front edge near the "not an ashtray." Thank goodness the parts are all so robust.

    http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-electronics/16045-guide-installing-aftermarket-sub-amp-detailed-step-step.html#post219280

    It also worked fairly well to install a panel mounted female 3.5mm headphone jack next to the cubby power outlet. I had to cut the cable from the CPHONAUX3.5 and solder on the new connector, but it's working great so far and I think it looks quite professional.

    Thanks again for a great post. I really gave me the confidence to order the parts and take care of this myself!

    IHTFP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed the same instructions for the Grom Audio HON1A3 with Grom Bluetooth Adapter. Worked great. Had to pull a bit hard and push the lever quite a bit to get the cord to come out.

    The Grom Audio bluetooth works great -- and the steering wheel controls skip from one song to next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post with very useful information to all thanks for sharing with all of us
    buy printer cable online

    ReplyDelete