Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tire Sizes

Every day there are questions regarding what different tire sizes are safe to run. The rule of thumb for the TSX is that the VSA and ABS will not be affected if the new tire size is within +/-2% of the stock circumference. This can be confusing for those that aren't math savvy so I put together a simple spreadsheet to do the calculations. The stock size is 215/50-17 but since this is a spreadsheet, it is not TSX specific and therefore you can use it for whatever car you have by changing the stock size cells. What the spreadsheet won't tell you is whether or not the tire size you wish to run on your wheels will actually work. For instance, the '04-'08 TSX factory wheels are 7" wide. The maximum tire width you can run is 225mm and even then, they may be very difficult to seat. After I bought my TSX, I decided I wanted a slightly wider and lower profile tire so I went with a 225/45-17. The circumference is 1.9% smaller than stock. A better match would be a 235/45-17 but 235mm is too wide for the stock 7" wheel. Get my point?

I found this spreadsheet to be particularly useful when sizing up/down wheels for summer/winter specific tires. For instance, a winter tire is best on a 16" wheel, so what size tire do I need to buy? Consult the spreadsheet!

The spreadsheet can be downloaded here.

Update: I picked up a set of 2005 Accord V6 Sedan (16") wheels for a great price. I tossed some Acura center caps on them and they look great. They're going to be a perfect winter setup. I threw them on the front and verified that they clear the brakes etc. It's pretty tight but they fit and will work on the TSX with no issues.






3 comments:

  1. You have a good idea but your sheet doesn't seem to do any calculations.

    See the sheet which is offered on the page at
    Plus Sizing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. You're right, I didn't implement a solver to tell you what size to buy, that's why I have a column to put in a bunch of different available sizes. The calculation that is important, and easy to mess up, was the %difference over stock.

    In my sheet, people can put in a size and immediately determine if it's too big/small for their application in a "guess-and-check" manner.

    Your spreadsheet is neat but should include sizing down your wheel diameter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one! There's still the other way if you'll need it...

    Tires For Sale

    ReplyDelete