Friday, April 9, 2010

Rotora: Why to NEVER buy.

Buying a product that meets your expectations is enough for some people to give a company a good review. The fact of the matter is, when you buy a product that "works" out-of-the box, you never actually get to deal with the manufacturer. Recently, I purchased a set of front and rear slotted rotors for my '05 TSX. My experience has opened my eyes, not only to an inferior product, but also to a backwards management style that ensures failure.

Upon receipt of the rotors, they were visually flawless. I took note of their short warranty (2wk/500mile) and was immediately questioning the quality of the product. Installation went smoothly; the rotors met OE design specifications exactly. I didn't even make it down the driveway before I noticed MAJOR pedal pulsation. Pressing the brake pedal while at speeds of 50mph or higher resulted in violent steering shudders and surging. After thorough inspection, I determined that BOTH the front rotors were out of spec. The rears were flawless.

The distributor (Excelerate Performance) told me I would have to submit a warranty claim with Rotora. In another blog entry, I will address this issue. I was immediately displeased with Rotora's (lack of) customer service. An hour and a half after they were supposed to be open, a customer service rep finally answers the phone. After explaining the situation, his response was "our rotors leave the facility flawless, you installed them improperly." After articulating to the rep why he was incorrect, his next response was "it must be your hubs, try replacing those." Being a (PhD candidate) engineer, I called him out on his lack of knowledge. His final response was to call back later when a tech would be in, but he wasn't sure when that was.

I finally got a hold of a tech and he seemed much more helpful. I suggested he ship me a new front set and I'd send the defective ones back. A day later I get a response "management wants to verify they are defective before they send out any product." Now, this I can understand when they are standing to lose thousands over a false warranty claim for a BBK but for $200 rotors? After a week of arguing, they agreed to charge my credit card for the product and refund me once they receive mine. I responded telling them to invoice me (for legal reasons). Three days passed and no invoice was received. I received a call saying that they were no longer going to work this matter out and no matter what, I needed to send the defective product to them for their verification.

I ended up buying new Duralast rotors from Autozone for less than half the price and a 2yr unlimited mile full replacement warranty. After installing these, I haven't had the slightest hint of surging, pulsation, or vibration. These rotors are smooth as butter. I submitted a chargeback claim to my CC and will receive my money back shortly.

In short, Rotora is so arrogant that they are unwilling to accept that their product is susceptible to manufacturing defects. They put 100% of the cost and blame back on the customer and are unwilling to honor their otherwise vague "warranty". I have heard other stories of the exact same problem and after others' sent their rotors in, Rotora claimed they were in spec and wouldn't send out new parts. The practice of putting all fault on the customer will bring your company to its knees, once the public becomes informed of your practices. They are willing to kill their relationship with a customer over a few hundred dollars. In my opinion, they are a total scam and should be completely avoided. If their products were truly superior, they would have a warranty that reflects that belief.

Save your money, NEVER BUY ROTORA.

No comments:

Post a Comment